Search Linux Wireless

Re: ath11k and vfio-pci support

On 1/27/2024 2:20 AM, James Prestwood wrote:
Hi Kalle/Baochen,

On 1/19/24 9:57 AM, Kalle Valo wrote:
James Prestwood <prestwoj@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

Sorry I should have made it clear:
step1: start qemu and load ath11k without changing anything, then
you get those errors;
step2: keep qemu running and ath11k there, don't unload it. Then
check lspci output in host to get the MSI vector.
step3: Back in qemu, hard code MSI vector to the one you get in
step2, then rebuild and reload ath11k.
Thank you for the clarification, this worked like a charm!
Very nice, huge thanks to Baochen for finding the workaround! James, let
us know how it works for you in the long run. This would definitely help
automating ath11k testing so I'm very interested about this.

It appears this hack isn't a reliable solution long term. It did survive several reboots but then I was back to the same behavior. Looked at the MSI vector and it had changed:

It went from fee00558 to feee00538

Yes, the MSI vector allocation is up to the kernel, and several factors are considered when doing this. Among them, the most important are the IRQ load balance and available vectors on a specific CPU. As a result, the vector changes, not only when you request it (as you already see), but also in run time.

But at least I can just modify this and get it working again.

Thanks,

James