Search Linux Wireless

Re: rtw88: rtl8822cs AP mode not working

Hi Viacheslav,

On Wed, Jan 17, 2024 at 10:48 AM Viacheslav <adeep@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
[...]
> > 3) Has anybody tried AP mode with rtw88 on a (supported) USB chipset?
> > If my thought (from #2) is correct then AP mode would show the same
> > problems there.
>
> I have USB RTL8821CU. It works in AP mode:
Thank you - this helps a lot as it narrows down the problem a lot!
If RTL8821CU works in AP mode the problem must be one of:
- a bug in sdio.c (in my opinion this is the most likely cause -
starting point: rtw_sdio_write_data_rsvd_page())
- some missing bits that are only SDIO relevant (in other words: code
that hasn't made it from the downstream driver into rtw88 yet)
- chipset specific differences (RTL8821C vs RTL8822C)
- a bug in the existing code that only affects SDIO cards (but doesn't
affect PCI / USB chips)
- a combination of any of those issues

I won't have time to look into this any further before the weekend.
Once I have more findings I'll let you know.

[...]
> > 4) Viacheslav, I think you previously mentioned that you did a bit of
> > work with the downstream driver.
> > It would be awesome if you could also take a look at the rtw88 and
> > downstream driver code and start comparing them (logic that's
> > different or completely missing from rtw88 is suspicious).
> >

> I made some minor fixes to restore functionality after kernel updates.
> But in this case, I will need help to understand where and how to start
> figuring this out.
The last rtw88 sdio bug fixes also only required changing only a few lines each.
As always: the tricky part is finding out what to change (without
breaking something else) :-)

> Moreover, we've encountered another problem: after two or three days the
> client WiFi connection stops working, the network interface loses its
> DHCP address, and consequently nothing else works.
Can you please confirm (to avoid any misunderstanding) that:
- this is in STA mode (meaning: RTL8822CS is connected to another AP)
- "loses it's DHCP address" means traffic stops flowing, even DHCP
renew is not working anymore
- (does restarting the interface: ip link set down ...; ip link set up
... work?)

Best regards,
Martin