Search Linux Wireless

RTL8822bu as AP rejects Tapo devices

Hi, i wish to signal what seems to me a bug.

I set up a few Linux boxes as AP in our office using Brostrend AC1200
dongles (chipset RTL8822BU).

Using the external module RTL882xbu suggested by Brostrend it all
works but there is one issue, i can't put more than one dongle for
each Linux box. I contacted Brostrend and I was told to wait for the
driver to be in the Linux kernel.

I saw that now RTL8822bu is in the kernel 6.5.0-5 which for me is
accessible without risk of wasting the AP configuration upgrading the
OS from Debian Stable to Debian Testing. I upgraded.

In the AP which runs now Debian Testing it is true i can plug in two
Brostrend dongles. It works as AP 2.4Ghz, in the sense that i can
connect to it with my Samsung phone. BUT, here comes the problem, NO
ONE of the >10 Tapo devices (2 cameras C225 and several plugs P110)
want to connects to the AP with the driver provided by the kernel.

I installed the RTL882xbu module in the same Debian Testing AP and now
all the Tapo devices do connect.

bye
n.m.