Search Linux Wireless

Re: removing OCB/WAVE/802.11p

On Fri, 2023-10-06 at 16:15 -0700, Jeff Johnson wrote:
> On 9/28/2023 8:38 AM, Johannes Berg wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > CC'ing lots of people who touched or used this in the past in hopes of
> > triggering some reaction somewhere ...
> >
> > I'm trying to do some cleanup in IBSS and following that some other
> > cleanups wrt. station allocation etc., but OCB pretty much copied the
> > IBSS code in this area, and I don't know how to use it, how to test it,
> > who's using it, if anyone is actually maintaining it, etc.
> >
> > Also, it only ever got implemented for ath9k, so I'm guessing it's not
> > getting any traction in new products/devices.
> >
> > So I'm probably going to remove it.
> >
> > Any takers to help maintain it instead?
>
> Do you have an estimate on the footprint of this logic? Do you have a
> proposed patch?

Neither. It's actually not really big, and I was just putting out
feelers.

The particular reason was that we had a patch a long time back:
https://patchwork.kernel.org/project/linux-wireless/patch/20180216161301.29339-3-luca@xxxxxxxxx/

which was rightfully rejected. But I was looking at it recently again,
thinking I should revive it (and I may still), and then I thought if I
do that, I can remove the gfp_t argument to sta_info_alloc(), but OCB
identically copied this code ...

Now, I suppose OCB doesn't have much in the way of station
discovery/connection process (like auth) since that's kind of the
_point_, but maybe doing something else would work here?

> In addition to ath9k I know there is out-of-tree usage of this
> functionality, and I'm trying to see if I can find someone to maintain
> this. But how would that actually work?

Well for starters it'd be nice to actually have some tests with hwsim, I
guess, and someone who knows how to use it, how to test things if there
are relevant changes, etc.

johannes