Search Linux Wireless

Re: [RFC/RFT PATCH v2 2/2] rtl8187: feedback transmitted packets using tx close descriptor for 8187B

--- On Thu, 6/11/08, Larry Finger <Larry.Finger@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hin-Tak Leung wrote:
> >
> > Seems that in my situation (my access point is a slow
> machine), the behavior of the rate control mechanism depends
> on the *type* of work load - I was restoring a firefox
> session with a lot of windows, and it is stuck at 1Mb all
> the time. But once all the windows are stored, doing a ping
> I can indeed have the rate going up (and eventually coming
> down) to 24-36Mb.
>
> Are those default pings? It may work differently with those
> short packets thaqn
> it does with the longer ones found with browsing.

Yes, just default "ping 192.168.0.1" without any options. I wonder if
pid is clever enough to work out that my upstream bandwidth is only 2Mb/s (web browsing obviously goes outside) and not letting it go over 1Mb/s.

Also wondering about latency: in the absence of browser traffic, I can ping the AP/routing-machine with 0.07s round-trip time, but it increases to almost 2s when restoring a firefox session. I tried to see if pinging - which is between the client and the AP - changes the rate, compared to firefox which depends on limited upstream bandwidth. It didn't, and given how poor ping works during such time, it isn't surprising.

Hin-Tak