Search Linux Wireless

Re: iwlwifi "memcpy: detected field-spanning write" kernel oops

On Mon, 2023-03-27 at 12:54 +0200, Hans de Goede wrote:

> Reading the thread I see that this seems to be an actual bug and there are
> some ideas how to fix this, but it needs someone to actually test the fixes.

There's kind of a bug, yes, but just applying the second hunk of Kees's
patch would squash the issue as well.

> I hit the reported oops whenever one of my laptops at home connects
> to my home router access-point.

Ok, that probably means you should upgrade your AP security settings ;-)

> So I can reproduce this at will; and given that I hit the oops I assume
> that my home network also actually uses the keys setup by the given path,
> so I should also be able to test that a fix does not break the wifi
> connection by misconfiguring the keys.

Right.

> So I'm hereby volunteering to test a fix on my setup.

You can just change the memcpy() that triggers the warning to copy only
16 bytes instead of key->keylen.

johannes