Search Linux Wireless

Re: AP6275 / bcm43752 pcie on mainline brcmf

On December 3, 2022 2:56:39 PM Angus Ainslie <angus@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 2022-11-29 11:48, Arend van Spriel wrote:

On 2022-11-17 04:01, Andy Green wrote:
On 11/17/22 09:23, Arend van Spriel wrote:
On 11/16/2022 1:25 PM, Shengyu Qu wrote:
Got a new version of downstream driver and firmware here:
https://gitlab.com/rk3588_linux/linux/external/rkwifibt/-/tree/linux-5.10-gen-rkr3.4

Thanks for that. The firmware indeed seems to originate from
Synaptics
and this module can be found on wifi-alliance product finder:

https://www.wi-fi.org/product-finder-results?sort_by=certified&sort_order=desc&keywords=ap6275

We have no known contacts there and they do not seem to have much
interest in open-source. In that gitlab repo I see they are
providing
bcmdhd driver and I assume they consider that sufficient.

Will see what I can do. First have to think on how to approach
this
failure to get most out of a debug effort. I do not have the
module
over here so we would need to go back and forth. The fact that the
issue is seen on both SDIO and PCIe is somewhat encouraging.

Yes it seems that at some point with some firmware, SDIO has worked
for, eg, Angus.  And, it should work well with bchdhd (but that
does
not seem to work for scan for me on v6.1-rc5 uplevel with the
firmware
load changed to use kernel apis; but the firmware has no timeout on
bcmdhd). So it doesn't feel a million miles away.

This is the firmware we have been using for SDIO. It was sent to us
directly by SparkLAN so not sure how it compares to other variants.

https://source.puri.sm/Librem5/firmware-brcm43752-nonfree/-/tree/master/firmware/brcm

It is a tad bit older:

$ strings brcmfmac43752-sdio.bin | grep FW-TAG
<FW-TAG>4362a2-roml/config_sdio_ampak_release_he
Version=18.35.387.23.7 (b328500@shgit) (wlan=r880297)
Date=2020-07-13T10:34:00Z FWID=01-f50fdff0

Currently it's broken for hotspot mode but I haven't had the chance to
see if that is FW or something further up the stack.

Hi Angus,

When you added support for this device in brcmfmac you marked it as a
Cypress device. Are you sure about that? AFAICT this device is coming
from Synaptics.

Hi Arend,

I assumed Cypress based on the fact that it most closely resembled the
4373 from the driver side.

Right. Both are based on the same chip architecture that they brought from Broadcom so the similarities are not surprising.

How would I figure out whether it's Cypress or Synaptics ?

When I search the web for it I only find SparkLAN or "AMPAK technology"