Search Linux Wireless

Re: New iwlwifi 3945 uCode available

Hi Tomas,

> >> I do not believe our request is unreasonable. If a user runs a new
> >> kernel the log will print a message that the firmware is incorrect ...
> >> all the user needs to do is go to
> >> http://intellinuxwireless.org/?n=Downloads and download the latest
> >> firmware. This does not require any subtle changes that may affect other
> >> aspects of the system ... just the firmware file that is only used by
> >> the driver.
> >>
> >> We are focused on upstream development. If there is a need to support
> >> older ucode then we face a similar challenge as was solved through the
> >> compat-wireless project for the driver self.
> >
> > I haven't checked this particular case, but in some cases it is simple
> > to keep backward compatible code around that would let us support the
> > old firmware for a few releases. In other cases the driver and firmware
> > interface might have evolved too much to do so. In these cases we might
> > wanna keep the old drivers around so users can have a choice.
>
> If it wasn't so awkward in this case I wouldn't mind to support old firmware.
> Second when we touch  firmware especially for old HW it means that it
> solves a bug so why ones would use old driver for something else then
> to download the new firmware.

if possible, we should try to support old ucode APIs with the latest
drivers. In some situations that might be not possible, but we should at
least try.

> > We do have something like drivers/staging/ now. It might make sense to
> > have introduce drivers/deprecated/ for old drivers that we just keep
> > around for a few releases to ease a transition. Just thinking out loud.
>
> Sounds like good idea... need some configuration tricks tough unlike
> staging here we have 2 drivers for the same hw

That is just some Kconfig magic :)

> > And I have been bitten by ucode API changes in the past. It is just not
> > clear when actually compiling the new kernel. We could also have compile
> > time checks that check the new firmware file is actually present at the
> > compile time of the new kernel. The driver should have a MODULE_FIRMWARE
> > tag and we could process it and match it to /lib/firmware.
>
> It has MODULE_FIRMWARE already

I know, but we need to actually make better use of this information in a
generic post compile step to check that the firmware is actually in
place and warn if it is not. Then you can go ahead and download it
before actually booting a kernel with a now broken wireless card. This
is not even Intel or wireless specific. We should do this for all kinds
of drivers.

Regards

Marcel