Search Linux Wireless

Re: New iwlwifi 3945 uCode available

On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 1:06 AM, Marcel Holtmann
<holtmann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Reinette,

>> > it is the same argument as for everything else. We should be able to run
>> > a new kernel with old userspace.
>>
>> I do not believe our request is unreasonable. If a user runs a new
>> kernel the log will print a message that the firmware is incorrect ...
>> all the user needs to do is go to
>> http://intellinuxwireless.org/?n=Downloads and download the latest
>> firmware. This does not require any subtle changes that may affect other
>> aspects of the system ... just the firmware file that is only used by
>> the driver.
>>
>> We are focused on upstream development. If there is a need to support
>> older ucode then we face a similar challenge as was solved through the
>> compat-wireless project for the driver self.
>
> I haven't checked this particular case, but in some cases it is simple
> to keep backward compatible code around that would let us support the
> old firmware for a few releases. In other cases the driver and firmware
> interface might have evolved too much to do so. In these cases we might
> wanna keep the old drivers around so users can have a choice.

If it wasn't so awkward in this case I wouldn't mind to support old firmware.
Second when we touch  firmware especially for old HW it means that it
solves a bug so why ones would use old driver for something else then
to download the new firmware.

> We do have something like drivers/staging/ now. It might make sense to
> have introduce drivers/deprecated/ for old drivers that we just keep
> around for a few releases to ease a transition. Just thinking out loud.

Sounds like good idea... need some configuration tricks tough unlike
staging here we have 2 drivers for the same hw

> And I have been bitten by ucode API changes in the past. It is just not
> clear when actually compiling the new kernel. We could also have compile
> time checks that check the new firmware file is actually present at the
> compile time of the new kernel. The driver should have a MODULE_FIRMWARE
> tag and we could process it and match it to /lib/firmware.

It has MODULE_FIRMWARE already
Tomas