Search Linux Wireless

Re: New Regulatory Domain Api.

On Mon, Oct 20, 2008 at 11:07 PM, Marcel Holtmann
<holtmann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> Old userspace still works, we can however require new userspace for
>> new features. A compliant regulatory infrastructure is a feature.
>
> how does an old userspace with a new kernel works?

It works by allowing by default only what is allowed in the world
regulatory domain.

> If we essentially
> disable hardware by not having the userspace in place, then that is not
> a solution.

We are not disabling hardware, we are adding a common regulatory
infrastructure to new cfg80211/mac80211 based drivers. We are not
touching the old drivers.

> We have to be able to install a new or development kernel on
> an old distro without having to install crda/iw or updating udev or
> whatever.

And you can use new kernels on old distributions with old wireless
drivers, however new mac80211 based drivers can reasonably require new
userspace utilities, and in this case we have a new userspace
requirement *only* when cfg80211/mac80211 based drivers do not provide
their own regutory_hint() or in the particular case outlined in this
thread. Additionally this new feature allows users who want to be more
compliant to do so by s specifying a country.

Udev was used based on your suggestion BTW, I was the one suggesting
to not use it because of the possibility of no udevd  present.

  Luis