Search Linux Wireless

Re: Warning from mac80211 with p54usb

On Sat, 2008-10-18 at 16:15 -0700, Larry Finger wrote:

> Note that none of the p54u callback routines are entered. From here, each
> successive call to p54_config() adds 3 new queue entries, non of which are ever
> removed. Eventually, the number of entries gets to 59 and the free space is less
> that the requested length causing the failure.
>
> I'm still trying to analyze the output from usbmon and to correlate it with the
> data in /var/log/messages, but callbacks stop occurring at a certain point,
> which is consistent with what is seen above. Unless you have other ideas, I'm
> content to attribute this problem to the old firmware. If I see similar troubles
> with newer firmware, I'll be back.

Looks to me like that for some reason the firmware doesn't tell the
driver when the config callback was completed, which will lead to the
space invariably filling up over time. It probably should be possible to
work around it (say by recycling the config once the firmware has
transmitted the next frame, since by then it should be reconfigured) but
I'm not sure it's worth it.

Btw, I tried getting my hands on a p54 device but it ended up being
acx111... I'll try again.

johannes