Search Linux Wireless

Re: Support for bcm43364 wireless chipset in brcm80211/brcmfmac

+ Double Lo

On 4/6/2022 9:36 AM, Jupiter wrote:
Hi Arend,

Thanks for your response.

Our design criteria is that it must be supported by mainline Linux.
Searching kernel log file to find that you added bcm43364 wireless
chipset to broadcom/brcm80211/brcmfmac driver, could you please advise
how stable and reliable to run brcm80211/brcmfmac for CYW43364 /
Broadcom BCM43364 Chipset?

Is Murata providing you with firmware or just the hardware.

Good question, we'll buy Murata hardware and we'll use Murata firmware
in linux-firmware so we can run Yocto to build WiFi to the image using
mainline Linux, linux-firmware and other open sources.

I've just checked the firmware, there is no bcm43364 binary in
linux-firmware, only bcm43362 links to cyfmac43362-sdio.bin, is the
cyfmac43362-sdio.bin the right firmware for Murata WiFi module
LBWA1KL1FX (CYW43364 / BCM43364 Chipset)? If not, where is the right
Murata WiFi module LBWA1KL1FX firmware in linux-firmware?

Indeed. As Sean stated in his commit message "The BCM43364 uses the same firmware as the BCM43430 (which is already included), the only difference is the omission of Bluetooth".

So for BCM43364 the brcmfmac driver will load brcmfmac43430-sdio.bin. Now it can be that the Murata WiFi module would need dedicated firmware that Murata provides. If your project/design is device-tree based (likely if it is a IMX6 ARM-based SoC) your device-tree will have a boardname and brcmfmac would try to find brcmfmac43430-sdio-<boardname>.bin or something like that. If not present it will fallback to the generic firmware mentioned earlier.

The Broadcom did very good job to support mainline Linux, Cypress
acquired Broadcom wireless IoT, Infineon acquired Cypress wireless,
has anyone known if the Infineon is committed to continually maintain
and support CYW43364 / BCM43364 Chipset driver and firmware in
mainline Linux and linux-firmware?

Infineon is listed in the MAINTAINERS file so I suppose they are. Hmm, there was a patch stripping Infineon names from it. I added the author of that patch to comment.

There is a wired backward tendency in recent years, large vendors
acquired wireless sectors then stopped supporting open source and
mainline Linux, switched its wireless sources to use its proprietary
Linux and SDK. Our original design was using Marvell Avastar 88W8801
chipset, the driver mwifiex and wifiex_sdio worked well for kernel 4,
but after NXP acquired Marvell wireless sector, NXP stopped supporting
mainline Linux, the kernel 5 mwifiex cannot communicate to 88W8801
chipset firmware, we were told to use the proprietary Linux driver
sources which is incompatible to our Yocto / OE build system, we have
no choice but to change the WiFi module.

In addition to add CONFIG_BRCMFMAC and CONFIG_BRCMFMAC_SDIO, should I
also add   CONFIG_BRCMFMAC_PROTO_MSGBUF, CONFIG_DMI,
CONFIG_BRCMFMAC_PROTO_BCDC and CONFIG_OF?

I would suggest using menuconfig as it already answers some if not all
of these. CONFIG_DMI and CONFIG_OF are really depending on your platform.

We'll certainly use the menuconfig that is not the issue, our CPU is
iMX6ULZ running on kernel 5.10, apologize we are not familiar with the
CONFIG_DMI and CONFIG_OF, appreciate your advice.

If your using IMX6 you will likely use device-tree as I mentioned before. So you probably will have CONFIG_OF enabled. OF stands for OpenFirmware and the kernel functionality is also used handling flattened device-trees.

Regards,
Arend