Search Linux Wireless

Re: New Regulatory Domain Api.

On Wed, Oct 15, 2008 at 04:31:20PM -0700, Tomas Winkler wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 15, 2008 at 3:16 PM, Luis R. Rodriguez
> <lrodriguez@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >>
> >> it might sound like an unlikely case and it will most likely only be the
> >> A-band usage anyway, but it is a valid case. People with old laptops do
> >> use newer wireless cards in PCMCIA or USB form factor to get better WiFi
> >> performance and/or stability. In some cases you can just replace your
> >> internal card, but with the switch from MiniPCI to half-MiniPCI this is
> >> not as likely anymore. So the use of a second external card becomes more
> >> likely.
> >
> > Right, and the proposed solution I had was to use an intersection
> > between two regulatory domains. This solution just doesn't currently
> > work well with Intel cards due to the capability <-> regulatory one to
> > one mapping.
>
> This  might be viewed this way but this is not concept behind it.
> First Intel HW enforce regulatory domain written in the EEPROM, which
> makes it in your sense capability even it's not.

I see.

> Second Intel uses special regulatory domains called MOW1 and MOW2
> (most of the world 1 and 2) + possible restriction to BG. These 3
> domains/capabilities should be restrictive enough comply with most of
> the world regulatory restrictions.

Well to meet your current SKUs requirements :)

> There is no real hint for specific
> regulatory domain that can be applied form this, the concept is that
> you should be move relatively freely around the globe without changing
> anything.

The issue was your single band cards do not store 5 GHz band regulatory
information. Is this MOW1 or MOW2?

> You really have to use some other source to specify regulatory domain
> it's cannot be retrieved from the MOW SKU's.

Right, do you have any other source for location or that you can
make this implication from your devices?

> The only exception in
> Intel cards are JP and KR SKU's which are real regulatory domains.

What makes them "real" BTW?

> Just my two cents, probably didn't help to solve the problem,

It certainly helps more understand your situation. I had no idea
of MOW1 and MOW2. Can this be documented as part of the
regulatory_hint() code changes which will be added?

  Luis