Search Linux Wireless

Re: Regulatory Framework & rt2x00.

Ivo van Doorn wrote:
Hi,

The problem I'm facing is that many of the Ralink devices have 2 region
settings in their EEPROM, one for 802.11a networks, and one for
802.11[bgn] networks. So far I have only seen devices where these two
settings contain the same region indication, but I don't know whether
this is the case for all devices.

At this point in time I use the regulatory_hint function at driver
start-up time to communicate the region setting that matches the
configured band, but that would (probably) not hold up when the user
reconfigures the mode.
I think you basically have two choices depending on whether you have a
country code in the eeprom or not.

If you have a country code, I suggest you just use either one.

As far as I know, though, you don't have country codes. So if there's a
valid code in the EEPROM you probably should use the regdomain struct
hint rather than the alpha2 hint and build a regdomain that contains
both 2.4 and 5 GHz channels based on the two region values you have.

For rt61pci and rt73usb you should do as Johannes suggested by using the
regdomain struct. For rt2500pci and rt2500usb it sounds much easier to
take the country code from the EEPROM since those devices only contain
a single regdom value.

Hmm, but building the regdomain struct would mean detailed region knowledge inside the driver. This is something I was trying to prevent, as all that knowledge has been moved to user-space with crda.

Luis, any other suggestions?

---
Gertjan.