Search Linux Wireless

Re: NL80211_CMD_GET_WIPHY reply doesn't fit into nl message buffer

On Mon, 2008-09-29 at 19:31 +0300, Jouni Malinen wrote:

> Well.. It reports channels like 2732 MHz or 6100 MHz and 5 GHz center
> frequencies for every possible multiple of 5 MHz. If someone is really
> using those properly, they are on a licensed band and this types of
> lists are not really needed for normal users. Whether the hardware
> really supports them or well, more exactly, whether all selected
> components can handle these frequencies and whether the radios have been
> calibrated for all of these areas is another question.

Good points. I hadn't looked at the list at all.

> For some reason, I do not seem to be able to reproduce this. Both iw and
> hostapd were able to fetch the data using the current wireless-testing
> tree..

Probably depends on something about alignment or whatever, not sure. Or
you have different hardware and the driver reports different things for
different hw? Anyway, it shouldn't wait forever, and my patch fixes
that.

> > I recently rewrote the handling in iw completely to make it easier to
> > follow, will post an equivalent patch for hostapd in a minute.
>
> Anyway, cleanup for nl send/recv processing is certainly welcome. I've
> never fully understood the steps that are used there and what to do if
> anything went wrong..

I see you applied that, it should be ported to the wpa_supplicant driver
too, I think.

johannes