Search Linux Wireless

Re: NL80211_CMD_GET_WIPHY reply doesn't fit into nl message buffer

On Mon, 2008-09-29 at 13:20 +0300, Jouni Malinen wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 12:01:20PM +0200, Johannes Berg wrote:
>
> > > I've found out, that NL80211_CMD_GET_WIPHY reply doesn't fit into a message
> > > socket buffer now. Used driver is ath5k.
> >
> > Ok, humm, I have no idea what to do. I guess we'll somehow have to make
> > it possible to split it up on band or channel boundaries. But since
> > those are nested it seems somewhat weird to me. Any ideas?
>
> Isn't ath5k reporting quite a large set of channels that would never
> really be used? 26 channels on 2.4 GHz and 194(huh!) on 5 GHz.. First
> workaround could be to just limit those to somewhat more common set of
> channels.

Well, this is what the hw supports I guess, most channels will actually
reported to userspace with the DISABLED flag set.

> Sure, it would be nice to be able to handle long enough replies, but in
> this particular case, I'm not sure whether the reply is that realistic.
> Split on band boundary would not be enough here since the 5 GHz band
> alone would probably have went beyond the size limit.

Heh, ok, split on channels it is then I guess. No big deal, but I don't
know how to handle that at all.

> > > There is also a bug in hostapd which waits for ACK forever when this error occur
> > > in i802_get_hw_feature_data().
> >
> > I should replace all the code there with the current code from iw, it's
> > much better and actually handles all the corner cases.
>
> I have following (completely untested) patch.. Does it look correct or
> do you have something more complete that should be used here?

I recently rewrote the handling in iw completely to make it easier to
follow, will post an equivalent patch for hostapd in a minute.

Jiri, can you tell me what happens with iw? iw phy phy0 info or
something.

johannes