Search Linux Wireless

Re: iw packaging

On Wed, 2008-09-17 at 22:19 +0200, Stefanik Gábor wrote:

> So, the actual command used, for example, is:
> iw dev wlan0 interface add mon0 type monitor

that seems fine.

> Similarly, the code used for removing interfaces is
> IW_ERROR=`iw dev "$iface" interface del 2>&1 | grep "nl80211 not found"`
> If I interpret your mail correctly, then this should be changed to:
> IW_ERROR=`iw dev "$iface" del 2>&1 | grep "nl80211 not found"`

I don't know why you insist on that grep, it should exit with a non-zero
status code.... but you can use both forms, I added the invisible alias.

> Will the same syntax change be made for the add feature? I mean this:
> iw dev wlan0 add mon0 type monitor

No. What are you adding?

> Also, the following syntax would be even better:
> iw --add mon0 --dev=wlan0 --type=monitor
> or:
> iw -dwlan0 -tmonitor add mon0
>
> Or at least allowing stuff like this:
> iw type monitor add mon0 dev wlan0

No. All of those are gross and not very object oriented.

> An experimental branch of aircrack-ng contains a slightly different
> version, which also has these additional changes:
> -Mesh support has been removed (as I couldn't get it compile with
> -Wall -Werror, which is a requirement for inclusion into aircrack-ng)

That's an extremely stupid requirement as warnings may pop up on various
platforms which you cannot anticipate, making it hard for users.

Anyway, you're free to fork it and do whatever you like that aircrack-ng
needs, but please don't call it iw and don't encourage debian to ship it
as 'iw'.

johannes