Search Linux Wireless

Re: [BUG?] b43: can't connect to WPA3 network (nohwcrypt=1)

Hi, Michael,

On Thu, 21 May 2020 at 11:46, Michael Büsch <m@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Great. Thank you for testing.
>
> Should we consider defaulting hwcrypto to off?

IMHO, not without testing. See below. :)

> I wonder what the performance penalty is, if any, on today's CPUs
> that have some HW-crypto embedded. Of course that depends on whether we
> actually use that here.
>
> Could we have some benchmarks (throughput and CPU load wise)?

I'm preparing to do some performance tests as we speak. Nothing too
elaborate, just transferring a file over NFS and having a look at the
CPU usage, with both hardware crypto enabled/disabled (while I
initially thought of doing it over SFTP, the crypto overhead will
surely overwhelm this system). Do you suggest a more scientifically
acceptable test?
Also note that this a PowerPC laptop (iBook G4). This means it's using
the generic C crypto algorithms, there are no SIMD (VMX/AltiVec)
implementations of AES and friends on PowerPC, at least from what I've
seen in the kconfig.

Thanks,
Rui