Search Linux Wireless

Re: VLAN testing (and mac80211_hwsim test cases in general)

On Friday 29 August 2008 10:37:41 Jouni Malinen wrote:

> debugfs provides some help for things like VLAN (or well, would provide,
> if we actually showed that information there ;-), but that can be easily
> added). As far as data packets are concerned, we could implement a
> simple "ping" program that uses packet sockets to send some data (and
> reply to specific messages). This can then by-pass the issues with IP
> and local interface.

Hello all, I saw the test driver project in kernelnewbies.org, posted by
Johannes, so I was working a little bit on the subject.

I am an absolute newbie, but I would like to share my thoughts while I was
working on this and seeing mac80211_hwsim. Again, probably most of them are
useless, but give me a try :). This is gonna be a little bit off-topic...
sorry.

First of all, I built a fool bus, just for plugging and unplugging the devices
on it (using debugfs for this task). I think it was the better way for
simulate a real device structure, but in fact is totally useless :$.

> It would be useful to have a tool that processes hwsim0 dump, though,
> and provides a language for writing "expect scripts" for 802.11
> (+radiotap) frames.. For example, something like "EXPECT ProbeReq CHAN=1
> and so on.. That tool would then write a report on what happened and
> provided pass/fail result based on requirements in the script.

Then, every device has debugfs I/O files (well, writing isn't working properly
yet). I tought it was the best way to allow an user tool to handle
configurations and communication with devices. I mean, the 'air' would be these
debugfs files next to an user tool to simulate what you want using them.

Well, the next two weeks are my exams period, so i will be out of service, but
I would like to help with this. Therefore, I'll pay attention to the list just
in case I could help with this stuff.

Regards,
Jose Ignacio.