Search Linux Wireless

Re: VLAN testing (and mac80211_hwsim test cases in general)

On Thu, 2008-08-28 at 19:04 +0300, Jouni Malinen wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 09, 2008 at 08:08:56PM +0200, Johannes Berg wrote:
>
> > Just realised that it doesn't handle VLANs properly. Could you add a
> > static MAC/VLAN mapping to hostapd to make VLANs possible without
> > setting up radius? :)
>
> In order to get more people testing this, I finally gave in and added
> that option into hostapd ;-), so now you can do this without having to
> set up a RADIUS server. To make things even easier, I made an example
> configuration and test instructions for mac80211_hwsim available:
>
> http://w1.fi/gitweb/gitweb.cgi?p=hostap.git;a=tree;f=mac80211_hwsim/tests/0002-vlan

Awesome, thanks. I'll look at the code, it seems to me that I actually
want to be able to configure to not reject unknown stations but put them
into their own VLAN, or something, then this feature could actually be
useful in production.

> I started collecting mac80211_hwsim test cases into mac80211_hwsim/tests
> directory in hostap.git. I hope this will make it easy for developers to
> test mac80211 features. For the time being, this is for manual testing,
> but hopefully at some point these tests can be run automatically with a
> script (e.g., daily or whenever wireless-testing changes, etc.). The
> test.txt file includes the commands needed to run both the AP and
> client(s). Some additional infrastructure would be needed to validate
> the end results and start/stop wpa_supplicant and hostapd in the
> background.

I'm not so much worried about starting/stopping them, you can easily
write a small program or so that simply forks and then runs them in the
foreground so that it has control over them and knows what PIDs they
have etc.

The validation is a bit harder, you can listen for wext events, but you
can't even try pinging between the interfaces... Maybe the validation
should check what's going on on the "air".

johannes