Search Linux Wireless

Re: Strange performance issue when using two devices at once

On Wed, 2020-01-29 at 12:01 -0800, Ben Greear wrote:
> On 1/29/20 11:48 AM, Marlon Smith wrote:

> > > Have you tried a different AP?
> > >
> > > And also tried using the exact same MAC addresses configured on a
> > > different
> > > radio (like ath9k)?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Ben
> > >

> > I have tried a different access point in a different environment
> > but no
> > luck. I'll see if I can configure my laptop to use one of the
> > problematic devices' mac address.
> It might be tricky to determine, but if you can notice whether one of
> your station devices
> is (block-)acking the other's frames, that would be a good clue that
> it is a station
> side bug.  A carefully inspected sniff, especially if you can put
> sniffer near one station
> and far from the other and so use RSSI as a sorting factor, should
> allow you to determine
> this.
>
> Thanks,
> Ben

So I did a few tests and got some pretty interesting results.

With the two devices connected to the access point and performing
slowly, I changed the MAC address of one of the devices (Just from a B6
to a BA). Immediately, both devices began working properly!

Back to the original MAC address, I looked at my sniffer, and I do not
see any evidence of one device acking another device's frames. With one
device sitting idle and the other transferring data, I see high numbers
of retransmitted frames, and then an eventual ack from the correct
device, but very little activity from the idle device. While this is
happening, the device driver indicates that it is dropping lots of
duplicate received packets.