Search Linux Wireless

Re: Strange performance issue when using two devices at once

On 1/29/20 11:48 AM, Marlon Smith wrote:
On Wed, 2020-01-29 at 11:27 -0800, Ben Greear wrote:
On 1/29/20 11:22 AM, Marlon Smith wrote:

On Wed, 2020-01-29 at 10:42 -0800, Ben Greear wrote:

On 1/29/20 10:39 AM, Marlon Smith wrote:

Hi everyone,

I have two RT5370 devices connected to the same access point.
Both
devices are very slow, but the instant I disconnect one device,
the
other speeds up by a factor of 10.
Out of curiosity, are both of the RT5370 used on the same client
device?

Did you check that they have unique MAC addresses?
Thanks,
Ben

The really strange part is that one device will perform slowly
even
if
the other device is basically idle! I've confirmed this with a
packet
sniffer.

I've been trying to do some debugging, and I've found that when
both
devices are connected to the access point, they report a large
number
of duplicate frames. I added some debug output
in ieee80211_rx_h_check_dup() to confirm that this only happens
while
both devices are connected. The packet sniffer also shows a
large
number of retries while this is occurring.

Using backports 5.3-rc4 for this, but also tested on 4.14-rc2.

I did post about this previously on this mailing list (RT5370
performance issues), but I thought I'd post again with this new
information and more descriptive title. I'm a little bit stuck
on
this
for a while now, so any ideas are much appreciated.

Thanks!

Marlon

They are on separate devices, although the mac addresses are close.
70:F1:1C:2E:AF:B4 and
70:F1:1C:2E:AF:B6.

However, I have a third device 70:F1:1C:2E:AF:BB which performs
well
and does not affect the performance of the other two.

Have you tried a different AP?

And also tried using the exact same MAC addresses configured on a
different
radio (like ath9k)?

Thanks,
Ben

I have tried a different access point in a different environment but no
luck. I'll see if I can configure my laptop to use one of the
problematic devices' mac address.

It might be tricky to determine, but if you can notice whether one of your station devices
is (block-)acking the other's frames, that would be a good clue that it is a station
side bug.  A carefully inspected sniff, especially if you can put sniffer near one station
and far from the other and so use RSSI as a sorting factor, should allow you to determine
this.

Thanks,
Ben

--