Search Linux Wireless

Re: Flag for detecting 802.11r Fast BSS Transition support

Hi Brian,

>>> Well, I guess we could just run the command and look for EOPNOTSUPP...
>>
>> this kind of API design and usage is bad. Try-and-error approach is just not sustainable.
>
> Sure. That "suggestion" was quite literally an afterthought. Not
> really a proper suggestion.
>
>> Even while it is late to add a proper flag that indicates support, we need to do this to make nl80211 better for the future.
>
> I suppose. I'm not quite sure how I would make use of that properly
> though, given the corpus of kernels out there where the flag doesn't
> exist (but the feature does). Some other heurestic for determining
> kernel recency? Compile-time flags for the relevant user space, such
> that one builds it for "new kernel API (w/ flag)" vs. "old kernel API"
> (with the latter not even trying to look for the flag)?
>
> Or I guess a more proactive approach: implement both a "supported" and
> an "unsupported" flag, so user space can figure out a tristate: flag
> not available (old kernel -- user space is left to guess) vs. command
> supported flag vs. command not supported flag.
>
> That seems a bit awkward though.

I would not make it this complicated. Add the flag for future kernels and the move on with life. Trying to workaround older versions is something I would not bother with. It is always possible to backport the feature to older kernels. And if you have a distribution or an OEM that cares, then that is what is going to happen.

Regards

Marcel