Search Linux Wireless

Re: Problems and suggestions to the kernel module r8723bs

On 9/28/18 5:02 AM, Simon Beginn wrote:
That value means that the signal strength is way too low. One other possibility is that the chip has retained the setting and is not obeying the antenna number command. To check that, create a file (as root) named /etc/modprobe.d/50-r8723bs.conf, and add a single line containing "options r8723bs rtw_ant_num=2" (without the quotation marks). After that file is ready, then do a cold boot so that the chip has been power cycled. Finally, redo the signal test. Note: If your patch is applied, the above will not work!
I've applied my patch and got the following results (btw good idea with the cold boot!):

***FILE CREATED***
options rtl8723bs rtw_ant_num=1

***POWEROFF + 2 MINUTES WAITING***

***REBOOT + COMMAND***
sudo iw dev wlan0 scan | egrep "SSID|signal"
-> Desk
     signal: -93.00 dBm
     SSID: Gonzales
     signal: -63.00 dBm
     SSID: Gonzales
     signal: -63.00 dBm
     SSID: Gonzales
     signal: -50.00 dBm
     SSID: TPC_Install
-> Place A
     signal: -93.00 dBm
     SSID: Gonzales
     signal: -45.00 dBm
     SSID: Gonzales
     signal: -62.00 dBm
     SSID: Gonzales
     signal: -64.00 dBm
     SSID: TPC_Install

***FILE MODIFIED***
options rtl8723bs rtw_ant_num=2

***POWEROFF + 2 MINUTES WAITING***

***REBOOT + COMMAND***
sudo iw dev wlan0 scan | egrep "SSID|signal"
-> Desk
     signal: -85.00 dBm
     SSID: Gonzales
     signal: -64.00 dBm
     SSID: Gonzales
     signal: -65.00 dBm
     SSID: Gonzales
     signal: -48.00 dBm
     SSID: Gonzales
     signal: -48.00 dBm
     SSID: TPC_Install
-> Place A
     signal: -79.00 dBm
     SSID: Gonzales
     signal: -45.00 dBm
     SSID: Gonzales
     signal: -63.00 dBm
     SSID: Gonzales
     signal: -63.00 dBm
     SSID: TPC_Install

ccepted. Even if it had been correctly done, I would have NACKed it.
Sry, would you reformulate this, please? I just can't understand/determine what the word "NACKed" means in this situation (Neither google or the raw translation helps me).

I do not think that changing rtw_ant_num made any difference. In each location, both tests had one AP with a signal greater than -50, which should be strong enough. We do not know if the driver is roaming correctly. At each location, is that AP with the strongest signal actually the one that is selected? To see that, change the scan command to

sudo iw dev wlan0 scan | egrep "associated|SSID|signal"

Check the output to see if the AP with the strongest signal is preceded by a BSS line.

Sorry about using jargon that you could not run through a translator. As Bastien explained, NACK means to reject a patch. You accept a patch by providing an "ACKed-by: name <email address>" line. Thus NACK is the opposite.

Larry