Search Linux Wireless

Re: Problems and suggestions to the kernel module r8723bs

On 9/26/18 3:54 AM, Simon Beginn wrote:

The convention has long been to use rnnnnxx for the Realtek drivers in staging, and rtlnnnnxx when they are moved to the regular wireless tree. If you want it renamed, then you need to do the work to get the driver into the condition necessary for it to be in the regular tree.
I'll see what I can do...

Module parameter ant_sel for rtl8723be and rtl8723de was created because some vendors saved a few pennies by only supplying one antenna. The problem is that they encoded the WRONG value into the EFUSE, thus code that uses that setting (Linux) essentially has no antenna attached. The simple measure of opening the case and moving the antenna to the other connector was not viable for warranty conditions. In addition, it broke the Windows driver. Do you have a case where there is a single antenna for the rtl8723bs, and the PROM shows the wrong value? If not, then any antenna number option is not needed.
Hmm. I cant answer this for sure. The symptoms on my tablet are that the wifi chip works OK using Windows (10) and is slow as **** under Linux. Under Linux the system also didn't connect directly to my router (or any other of its guest-networks) and prefers a far away adapter - which are all spread over my house. And I think the chip does select the wrong antenna, because my router (which the tablet doesn't like) discard all connection attempts if they are too weak. The, as mentioned before, other adapters doesn't have such a feature AND the wifi works only well if I stand directly beside the "i-take-everything" adapters. To make this analysis stand on something: How can I read the PROM values? The tablets BIOS is not the key - it only provides the EFI selection.

This driver is not reading any PROM data. It sets the antenna to 1 unless it is overridden by the rtw_ant_num option. We need to use signal strengths to decide if using ant_num 2 would be better. Use the following command to get the baseline values:

sudo iw dev wlan0 scan | egrep "SSID|signal"

Change the wlan0 to the actual device name on your system.

Next, do the command sequence

sudo modprobe -rv r8723bs
sudo modprobe -v r8723bs rtw_ant_num=2

Then repeat the iw command.

If the second set of signals is something like 30 dBm greater, then prepare an options file to force antenna #2. Post all the scan data for the AP you want to use.

Larry