Search Linux Wireless

Re: b43 crashes on rmmod (bcm4331)

On 13/06/18 13:27, Michael Büsch wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Jun 2018 12:25:16 +0300
> Wirz <spam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>>> This commit introduces a bug, if b43 is the only RNG in the system. But
>>> that is unlikely on modern systems and it's fixed by
>>> 0e4b52942b1c76f89e0dcb829f72e123d0678f54, which is in 4.16.
>>>
>>> Other than that I currently can't see why this crashes.
>>>
>>> But the crash should go away, if you disable CONFIG_B43_HWRNG.
>>> That's not a solution, but it may help, if you would like to get rid of
>>> the crashes.
>>> Could you please verify whether disabling CONFIG_B43_HWRNG avoids the
>>> crash, just to make sure we are not after a red herring here?
>>
>> It seems the bug I'm seeing is separate from the one you are describing.
>>  The 4.16 kernels that ship with debian testing crash for me as well.  I
>> tested the 142a27f0a version with CONFIG_B43_HWRNG switched off
>> (manually in the .config): it still crashes is the same way.  I also
>> just verified that the version one before that really is good.
>

> CONFIG_B43_HWRNG completely switches off hwrng support in b43.
> I don't see how a change in hwrng core could still lead to a crash in
> b43 with this option switched off.
>
> What do you mean by "manually in the .config"?

What I meant is, that I have outcommented the line 'CONFIG_B43_HWRNG=y'
in .config.

> Can you try to properly switch off the setting with make menuconfig and
> then recompile everything from scratch (make clean)?

I was intending to do that before, but I cannot find the option for
that.  Searching for b43_hwrng in menuconfig only shows the dependencies
of that option, and the Kconfig file where it is defined, but not the
path in menuconfig.  Do I indirectly set CONFIG_B43_HWRNG through the
parameters it depends on?  I'm sorry, but this is obviously above my
level of expertise ...

cheers, lukas

--
Do not believe the naysayers who say it cannot be done.