Search Linux Wireless

Re: rtlwifi oops

On Sat, Oct 28, 2017 at 12:02:30AM +0300, nirinA raseliarison wrote:
> On 10/27/2017 07:57 AM, James Cameron wrote:
> >On Fri, Oct 27, 2017 at 04:08:48AM +0300, nirinA raseliarison wrote:
> >>hi all,
> >>i applied the patch against 4.13.8. i still got some trouble, dmesg
> >>is below.
> >
> >As this new event does not have "disabled by hub (EMI?)", it is a
> >different problem to your 19th October post, so I don't think the
> >patch is relevant.
> >
> >>after i plugged the device, it seems to be detected and all modules
> >>loaded, but when i tried to connect to an access point, by using
> >>wicd, it halted after a while. at this point, all usb ports are
> >>broken, there was no more log in dmesg,
> >
> >If the other USB ports are not responding, then your problem is
> >probably wider than the wireless device, and the wireless device
> >is acting as the "canary in the mine"; failing first because it is
> >the most active.
> >
> >Can you test to exclude possibility of damaged USB host controller or
> >hub?
>
> yes, dmesg below with an usb audio adapter and a usb mouse plugged at
> boot time. then the rtl8192cu plugged, and i'm using it to retrieve
> and send this mail.

Thanks.

Your dmesg shows the mouse is discovered, then disconnects, then
reconnects.  I can't tell if your mouse normally does this.  Can you
also test for the wireless problem without the USB mouse, or with a
different mouse?

Your dmesg also shows "cannot get freq" for USB audio device
endpoints, but I'm not sure what this means.

> my first guess was also about a damaged device or usb port
> as those random crashes are recent.
> note that the device i'm using here is not the same as the one
> that triggered the previous errors.
>
> >>lsusb still showed the device even after being unplugged. it got
> >>even worse as reboot failed.
> >
> >Yes, once a USB host controller is failed, organised reboot can be
> >difficult.  lsusb not updated confirms host controller not responding.
> >
> >>i cannot really trace the error as right now all thing works fine.
> >
> >Your dmesg looks like you removed and reinserted the wireless device
> >several times.  Did you do that, or did the system do it without any
> >physical action?
>
> no, the device was always connected. i've only removed it long after
> i noticed something went wrong and just before i tried reboot.

Okay, thanks.  I'm worried that unexpected disconnect suggests a USB
host or hub problem.

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.netrek.org/