Search Linux Wireless

Re: [BUG] Two bugs in monitor mode, iwl3945

Stefanik Gábor wrote:
On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 11:10 AM, Maxim Levitsky
<maximlevitsky@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I noticed two bugs:

1) Monitor mode hangs the system randomly, and what is interesting that this
bug disappears if I patch the driver with packet injection patch from Gábor
Stefanik.
I noticed this bug, after I removed his patch to see if it caused some
problems.
Always reproducible, usually hangs just after airodump launch.

Something tries to transmit on the monitor interface, which is
impossible without the injection patch. However, the method used for
preventing TX in monitor mode is incorrect (it just drops the packet
silently, without notifying mac80211, which, in the absence of an ACK,
tries to retransmit the packet - an obvious infinite loop). This is
what causes the freeze. (Do you have networkmanager running? That
often tends to interfere with monitor interfaces.)
I have it running, I will test without it.

2) If I enable monitor mode regardless of injection patch, the scanning
results got garbaged,
iwlist scan reports > 100 quality on most APs, or 0% quality on my router,
shows extremely low and hi power levels, like
-127dBm or 160 dBm, and those levels change rapidly.
This why I removed the injection patch, I suspected it, but this bug appears
to be not related to it.

Does this also happen if you create an extra managed or AP (AP
requires a patch to mac80211) interface, or is it specific to monitor
interfaces?
If I create any interface, managed/ibss/monitor nothing bad happens.
But when I turn the mon0 up (ifconfig mon0 up), this happens.

I can't turn on other interfaces (managed/ibss), ifconfig complains that interface is busy
I think that it isn't allowed to run two managed interfaces in same time, don't know why.

Best regards,
	Maxim Levitsky