Search Linux Wireless

Re: ROAM/CONNECT event with PORT_AUTHORIZED

On 09/14/2017 01:05 PM, Denis Kenzior wrote:
Hi Ben,

There are different meanings for 'roam'.  Are you just talking about
fast-transition roaming?

I'm using 'roam' as any transition between BSSes in the same SSID/Security type.  So regular re-association, pre-authenticated association, fast transition.

I would think that the decision to restart DHCP (at least ipv4) should
be in user-space.  I'm less sure about how IPv6 should deal with this.

I have tested roaming using FT and normal-ish wpa_supplicant without
doing DHCP, and it works fine.  Of course, it also works if you
choose to re-do DHCP.

Our thinking on this was to assume that DHCP parameters are still valid after a roam, but re-confirm them just in case.  If the confirmation fails, then we can
fall back to requesting a new DHCP lease.

How do you re-confirm them?  There are definitely cases where SSID/Security is the same but each
AP has its own DHCP server and roaming between them will require getting a new DHCP address (on
the same (NAT'd) subnet and with same gateway, likely as not).

Thanks,
Ben

Regards,
-Denis