Search Linux Wireless

Re: ROAM/CONNECT event with PORT_AUTHORIZED

Hi Johannes,

On 09/14/2017 06:44 AM, Johannes Berg wrote:
On Thu, 2017-09-14 at 13:21 +0200, Arend van Spriel wrote:

Yep. Toggling the OPER_STATE seems to go against what roaming is
about.

Agree.

The question is whether all APs are actually sane after a roam. E.g. can the STA assume that the same IP address, DHCP lease, etc is still valid? I heard from various people that this might not be the case, but we haven't had a chance to verify those claims...

Come to think of it, is it a good idea to tightly couple
PORT_AUTHORIZED to OPER_STATE. Aren't these separate concepts in
different layers of the network stack.

Well, I think that coupling would make the most sense, since once you
have oper state UP you'll try to get IPv6 etc., no? And before being
authorized there's no point.

I think it does make sense to tie one into the other. However, do we have a race condition here? E.g. AUTHORIZED is sent on one socket, then OPER_STATE is signaled on rtnl. Which one do applications rely on?

Note that we *can't* do this right now, otherwise we can't transfer the
EAPOL frames; but once we do that over nl80211 we'd be able to.

In earlier discussions the proposal for a separate event was made by
Jithu (colleague). In brcmfmac it would become a bit less
complicated with a separate event so it has my vote as well. So the
AUTHORIZED event will have no attributes, right? So if the event
occurs it is AUTHORIZED.

I think so, yes. I pondered having the attribute in there so you could
explicitly have a "not authorized" event, but do we really need that?
If you get disconnected that's pretty much implied, so ... I don't
think we need it.

(*) is anyone working on that? I'll throw it on my list if not.

["that" being EAPOL-over-nl80211]

The last I saw on this was Denis Kenzior volunteering for it, but
that was about it.

Oh, thanks for the reminder, I'd forgotten entirely...
Denis?

*wakes up*

Ah I now seem to remember that I volunteered to look into this before my sabbatical :) I think this was in early June? I'm certainly still interested in doing so. Let me dust off that portion of my brain and come up with a proposal. Unless you already have a clear idea of how things should work?

Regards,
-Denis