Search Linux Wireless

Re: rfkill(8) move and improvements

On Fri, 30 Jun 2017, Karel Zak wrote:

> > > [...]
> > >
> > > I can't say I mind, and most of your proposed changes seem sensible,
> > > though I haven't reviewed them in enough detail to comment on them.
> > > Something that caught my eye here was comparing a string to _("all")
> > > which seems wrong, since that'd mean you'd have to type the translated
> > > version even on the command line? That seems really awkward (to put it
> > > charitably).
> > >
> > > However, at the same time, I have very little desire to get involved
> > > with util-linux as yet another project, so frankly I'd probably
> > > continue to "maintain" the current rfkill tool - which really hasn't
> > > changed in a very long time, and hope somebody else picks up
> > > maintenance of rfkill included in util-linux.
> >
> > Hello Johannes,
> >
> > Thank you for feedback. I removed the rfkill command strings from
> > translations, and gave hint to translators how to deal with them in
> > usage() output. Also in same go updates are rebased on top of
> > most recent upstream to get usage() --help and --version handling
> > done correctly.
> >
> > What comes  to maintenance I am fairly optimistic util-linux is a
> > good home for the rfkill. Karel, what do you think?
>
> I have no problem with it, if Johannes agree with this step. We have
> definitely manpower to maintain it.

Hello,

I did couple last minute changes to my remote branch, that should now be
ready for final review.

git://github.com/kerolasa/lelux-utiliteetit.git rfkill

The changes:

1. Add commit to make rfkill_event struct read size check to be back and
   forward compatible.
   https://github.com/kerolasa/lelux-utiliteetit/commit/fdb76db0d32fdd77bff49b6c2a7db77763b1c4e4

2. Refer this email thread in merge commit.
   https://github.com/kerolasa/lelux-utiliteetit/commit/0b6c2693debf1219cfbe39dcf70e208abc94c1af

3. Change 'yes' and 'no' in rfkill status output to 'blocked' and
   'unblocked' that are more associative with command strings. Here is a
   sample output:

   $ rfkill
   DEVICE            ID TYPE      SOFT      HARD
   ideapad_wlan      0  wlan      unblocked unblocked
   ideapad_bluetooth 1  bluetooth blocked   unblocked
   hci0              2  bluetooth blocked   unblocked
   phy0              3  wlan      unblocked unblocked

4. Mark in configure.ac rfkill is linux only utility.
   https://github.com/kerolasa/lelux-utiliteetit/commit/5f715abb96a4fa3699bcfdb35d029d7ae3a5ea07#diff-67e997bcfdac55191033d57a16d1408aR1596

5. Small wording change in --output manual page entry: s/list of all
   supported/list of available/. The later matches with --help output
   title, hopefully makes it easier to know what is being referred.

--
Sami Kerola
http://www.iki.fi/kerolasa/