Search Linux Wireless

Re: cfg80211: add set/get link loss profile

On 11/28/2016 4:52 PM, Johannes Berg wrote:

>> Introduce NL80211_CMD_SET_LINK_LOSS_PROFILE and
>> NL80211_CMD_GET_LINK_LOSS_PROFILE as it required by the user space
>> to configure the link loss profile.
>
> I'm not convinced.
>
>> The link loss profile represents the priority of maintaining link up
>> in different link quality environments.
>> Three types of behavior for link loss defined:
>> LINK_LOSS_PROFILE_RELAXED: prefer maintaining link up even in poor
>> link quality environment.
>> LINK_LOSS_PROFILE_DEFAULT: The default behavior for maintaining link
>> up vs link quality.
>> LINK_LOSS_PROFILE_AGGRESSIVE: prefer losing link up in poor link
>> quality environment.
>
> What you're doing here is *extremely* vague. No definitions of what
> this means, no description of how it's intended to be implemented, no
> note even on whether or not this is for full-MAC chips or not, etc.

The patch is intended for full-MAC chips and I will update the commit
message to include more details.

> At least for mac80211, we can define signals to userspace regarding
> "link quality" and make decisions in wpa_s then?

The policy is offloaded today to the FW and the decision being made by the FW.
We are only modifying the behavior and not making the decision.

--
Alexei Lazar
Qualcomm Israel, on behalf of Qualcomm Innovation Center, Inc.