Search Linux Wireless

Re: Regression (?) with wireless-testing and mainline 2.6.26-rcX kernels

Johannes Berg wrote:
Larry,

I have found what I think is a regression where b43 appears to be connected; however, no data can be transferred. Not very much information has been logged; however, I think it correlates with a switch from short to long barker preamble.

Interesting. Doesn't your AP support short preambles? That'd be the only
reason for anything going wrong here to actually break your connection.
hmm.

My AP works with short preambles. When this situation occurs, whatever happens causes a switch from short to long. The change in the preamble is likely a symptom of whatever is causing the breakage.

Do you have any suggestions on what should be logged in ieee80211_handle_protect_preamb or any other mac80211 routine so that I can isolate the problem? I use NM to control the connection and authentication to a WPA-PSK TKIP network.

Well I guess you should log what state it changes to (maybe even in b43)
and at the same time monitor with say wireshark on a monitor interface
to see what the AP is announcing. Not sure really, I have a hard time
imagining this being the problem.

I'll try for a stack dump when the short => long transition occurs. Perhaps that will suggest something to dump. I'll also set up a monitor interface. Unfortunately, it is an unlikely event, but I have a lot of disk space.

Larry