Search Linux Wireless

RE: building brcmfmac driver for iMX6 Ultralite platform

>> Arend,
>
>What about my reply? ;)

Sorry.  No offense intended.  I clearly need to not treat this as email.  I'll figure out the protocol soon enough.

>> That is news to me.  I was under the impression that bcmdhd was
>> Broadcom's proprietary (closed source) Linux driver and brcmfmac was
>> the open source Linux driver.
>
>Don't top post. It's hard to say what you're replying to. bcmdhd is also open source (not sure what license), just not mainline.
>

>> Either way, I am now running
>>
>>         insmod  brcmutil.ko
>>         insmod  brcmfmac.ko
>>
>> I receive no errors and no kernel messages.
>>
>> When I insert the 43341 module into the SDIO slot nothing happens.
>> I'm guessing that the version of the brcmfmac driver that I built does
>> not support that chip.
>
>Is is detected by the system? If so, what ID does it use?

The system recognizes that an mmc card has been inserted.  The driver doesn't see the module, however.  Looking at the page

	https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/en/users/drivers/brcm80211

suggests that I simply need to move to a newer Linux kernel as I am using 3.14.38.  NXP recently posted a 4.1.15 install so I will try getting the 43341 module up and running with that.

>> When I insert the 43362 module into the SDIO slot I receive the
>> following errors
>>
>>         mmc0: queuing unknown CIS tuple 0x80 (7 bytes)
>>         mmc0: new high speed SDIO card at address 0001
>>         brcmfmac: brcmf_c_preinit_dcmds: Firmware version = wl0: Jun
>> 7 2012
>> 18:27:16 version 5.90.225 FWID 01-d8fe14bd
>>         brcmfmac: brcmf_fil_cmd_data: Failed err=-23
>>         brcmfmac: brcmf_fil_cmd_data: Failed err=-23
>>         brcmfmac: brcmf_fil_cmd_data: Failed err=-23
>>         brcmfmac: brcmf_fil_cmd_data: Failed err=-23
>>         brcmfmac: brcmf_add_if: ERROR: netdev:wlan0 already exists
>>         brcmfmac: brcmf_add_if: ignore IF event
>>         brcmfmac: brcmf_fil_cmd_data: Failed err=-23
>>         brcmfmac: brcmf_construct_reginfo: channel 1: f=2412 bw=0
>> sb=-1998840228
>>         brcmfmac: brcmf_construct_reginfo: channel 2: f=2417 bw=0
>> sb=-1998840228
>>
>> and suddenly ifconfig shows the interface wlan0.  The interface looks
>> to be valid as it is displaying a MAC from our address range.
>>
>> Although the interface wlan0 is present I am not able to use wl
>> commands to scan for networks.  wl reports "wl driver adapter not
>> found" for all command arguments.  If I run the command
>>
>>         iwlist  wlan0  scan
>>
>> I'm told that the interface does not support scanning.  If I run
>> wpa_cli and then the commands scan and scanresults I don't see any networks.
>
>"wl" user space tool uses wlioctl, proprietary protocol, brcmfmac doesn't support it.
>
>iwlist uses wext protocol, legacy one.
>
>Please use nl80211 based tools, e.g. "iw".

I was able to scan with iw and join a WPA2 protected network using wpa_supplicant.  It would appear that I have the 43362 up and running with the brcmfmac driver.  I will try the other Linux install for the 43341.

Thank you all for all your help.  It is much appreciated.  :-)

-Mike