Search Linux Wireless

Re: Intel 7260 - limited in 5GHz spectrum

On Sat, Oct 31, 2015 at 12:12 PM, Grumbach, Emmanuel
<emmanuel.grumbach@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 10/30/2015 06:37 PM, Pushpal Sidhu wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've been working with the Intel 7260 card which advertises itself as
>> dual band wireless AC card. However, I cannot get it working in AP
>> mode in the 5GHz range. An $(iw list) shows that the entire 5GHz band
>> has 'no IR' next to it so as not to allow device radiation (please see
>> pastebin here: http://pastebin.com/T4BWnBmn).
>>
>> After searching around the internet a bit, it seems that the card
>> doesn't allow for this mode (And is thus not really dual band?). I'd
>> like to know if this is a firmware limitation and if there's a fix in
>> place, or if not, why is this card limited to the spectrum it can
>> radiate at?
>>

> 7260 does not (and will not) support AP mode in 5GHz band. This is of
> course not a hardware limitation since it can function as a station in
> this band. The limitation is due to regulatory concerns. Later devices
> (8260) have the ability to be an AP in 5GHz under certain circumstances.

Emmanuel,

Out of curiosity, can you explain what you mean about 'regulatory
concerns'? There are channels in the 5GHz band that can be used in FCC
with and without DFS. Is it that certification in the 5GHz band is
optional and Intel didn't want to do the certification?

Regards,

Tim