Search Linux Wireless

Re: Intel 7260 - limited in 5GHz spectrum

Hi,

On 10/30/2015 06:37 PM, Pushpal Sidhu wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been working with the Intel 7260 card which advertises itself as
> dual band wireless AC card. However, I cannot get it working in AP
> mode in the 5GHz range. An $(iw list) shows that the entire 5GHz band
> has 'no IR' next to it so as not to allow device radiation (please see
> pastebin here: http://pastebin.com/T4BWnBmn).
>
> After searching around the internet a bit, it seems that the card
> doesn't allow for this mode (And is thus not really dual band?). I'd
> like to know if this is a firmware limitation and if there's a fix in
> place, or if not, why is this card limited to the spectrum it can
> radiate at?

7260 does not (and will not) support AP mode in 5GHz band. This is of
course not a hardware limitation since it can function as a station in
this band. The limitation is due to regulatory concerns. Later devices
(8260) have the ability to be an AP in 5GHz under certain circumstances.