Search Linux Wireless

Re: b43 LED status (was Re: b43 reduced performance in Linux-2.6.25)

Gautam Iyer wrote:
On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 06:54:48PM -0500, Larry Finger wrote:

I don't have Windows so can't compare to it. But even though I use b43
by default, I sometimes have to revert to ndiswrapper on weak signals or
large file transfers. Also ndiswrapper has the power management and
LED's working correctly, which I could not get working with the b43
driver.
What LEDS does your interface, and what do they not do? If the only
LED you have is the one attached to the rfkill switch, then you have
not properly configured the LED parameters.

Yes, the only LED I have is attached to my rfkill switch. It becomes
blue when I load the b43 kernel module, and becomes red when I unload
it. I was hoping I could set it so that it becomes blue when in use
(i.e. associated), and red otherwise. (This happens with ndiswrapper).

I remember messing with the LED power / brightness files in /sys. But
nothing I echoed in there changed the state of the LED. Is there some
parameter I'm missing?

You need the following LED- and rfkill-related parameters in your configuration:

CONFIG_MAC80211_LEDS=y
CONFIG_RFKILL=m
CONFIG_RFKILL_INPUT=m
CONFIG_RFKILL_LEDS=y
CONFIG_B43_LEDS=y
CONFIG_B43_RFKILL=y
CONFIG_NEW_LEDS=y
CONFIG_LEDS_CLASS=m
CONFIG_LEDS_TRIGGERS=y

The last one may not be necessary, but the others are. With this setup, the LED will be blue when b43 is loaded _AND_ the rfkill switch is on, and red when the rfkill switch is off, or b43 is unloaded.

Larry