Search Linux Wireless

RE: Roaming problems

On Mon, 2008-04-28 at 20:28 +0200, Lars Ericsson wrote:
> > > - Driver authenticating with new AP while having a valid
> > > association with and other AP.
> >
> > Yes, that is the problem, we should disassociate first. If
> > you can come up with a patch to send a disassoc packet in
> > that case (and test it,
> > preferably) that would be much welcome.
>
> OK. I understood that there has been a discussion about the way the driver
> should handle this situation and the current behaviour is according to that
> discussion.

Yeah but that was mostly just sidetrack.

> Is there any information document available describing the
> selected design path or is it only the code that document the design ?
> I think need that information if I should be able to create the patch
> requested above.

Unfortunately, there is nothing about mac80211's mlme other than the
code.

> On the other hand, that patch will only keep track of 'dual association'
> problem.

Well, no, that would mean we disassociate first and then only have a
single association.

> With the current wpa_supplicant, we will still have the problem
> with the driver start an association sequence as soon as 'trig' ioctl
> arrives. I think the wpa_supplicant need to modified to better cooperate
> with the driver.

That would be doable as well (though I would argue it should be done in
addition), we could use Holger's approach and delay the actual
association sequence start until a commit wext ioctl is received or a
timer expires. Then wpa_supplicant can call the commit explicitly after
doing everything.

johannes