Search Linux Wireless

Re: ath9k_htc: virtual interfaces, AP connection drop & kernel warning

On 07/22/2015 07:16 PM, Oleksij Rempel wrote:
Am 22.07.2015 um 18:37 schrieb Rolf Anderegg:

On 16/07/15 13:54, Oleksij Rempel wrote:
Am 13.07.2015 um 13:52 schrieb Rolf Anderegg:

I suspect that there are bandwidth/speed issues when dealing with USB
adapters, but that does not inherently mean that the connection is prone
to drop, right? Doesn't that mean that I am leaking packages somewhere
along the way? What else could I be looking for?

The packages can drop if you will do channel scan. STA mode need some
seconds to complete channel scan. It means AP will be all the time
unavailable.

Ok, that may be. Then again why am I not experiencing the same
connection drop on my ath5k setup? Because the channel scan is more
likely to be completed in due time?

Yes, channel scantime on usb device is match longer then on pci.

May I ask for the reason it takes a longer time to complete the scanning on a USB device compared to a PCI device? I assume the internals of an ath9k PCI device is similar as that of an ath9k_htc USB device, so is it purely the bus speed that affects this time? Or is the USB device a smaller version of the chipset on the PCI device and therefore with a lower speed due to power concerns?

If it is due to the bus speed, would it be possible to decouple the scanning process from the bus, that is, I assume that the hardware performs all the necessary channel switching and channel sensing, so why not allow the hardware to gather such information and transfer the results in a single burst to the host over the USB bus? Or is the channel switching controlled by the host and it takes a lot of time due to the duration of transmitting the channel switching commands to the USB device?

Thanks,

Wim.