Search Linux Wireless

Re: mac80211 drops packet with old IV after rekeying

On 05/18/2015 01:03 AM, Janusz Dziedzic wrote:
On 18 May 2015 at 08:14, Peer, Ilan <ilan.peer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: linux-wireless-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:linux-wireless-
owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Johannes Berg
Sent: Sunday, May 17, 2015 23:22
To: Emmanuel Grumbach
Cc: alexander.wetzel@xxxxxx; Jouni Malinen; linux-wireless
Subject: Re: mac80211 drops packet with old IV after rekeying

On Sun, 2015-05-17 at 23:13 +0300, Emmanuel Grumbach wrote:

Yeah - ok. But how come we *already* set the pointer to the new key
while the HW is still successfully decrypting with the old key.
This is the point I can' figure out. I'd expect the transmitting
side to stop using the old key prior to sending the EAPOL (which

There is probably no synchronization between the 4way HS and other data traffic on the transmitter side, as these are different processes. So it is possible that after receiving message 3 and before setting the keys, the HW would be able to decrypt additional frames with the old key.

In ath10k hw we have peer flag WMI_PEER_NEED_PTK_4_WAY.
This will lock tx (discard data) until PTK_M4_SENT and install key
after 4way HS.
But I didn't check ptk_rekey and I am not sure this will help with all races.

I think at least the 10.1 firmware has bugs that keep this from actually working
just right.  Maybe later firmware works better.

Thanks,
Ben

--
Ben Greear <greearb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>