Search Linux Wireless

Re: gentoo ebuild for compat wireless (resend)

Luis R. Rodriguez schrieb:
On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 7:14 AM, Florian Manschwetus
<florianmanschwetus@xxxxxx> wrote:
Florian Manschwetus schrieb:

Luis R. Rodriguez schrieb:
 >> On Mon, Mar 24, 2008 at 7:31 PM, Florian Manschwetus
 >> <florianmanschwetus@xxxxxx> wrote:

 >>>  > <florianmanschwetus@xxxxxx> wrote:
 >>>  >> is it possible to get a version appendix on the tar.bz?
 >>>  >>  so it should be easy to get a working ebuild fpr this.
 >>>  >
 >>>  > The problem is there's two things to "version", compat-wireless
 >>> itself
 >>>  > and Linux. I keep both version already as part of the tarball.
 >>>  >
 >>>  > wireless@sipsolutions:~$ cat compat-wireless-2.6/compat-release
 >>>  > 2.8-49-gfe0f268
 >>>  >
 >>>  > wireless@sipsolutions:~$ cat compat-wireless-2.6/git-describe
 >>>  > v2.6.25-rc5-2623-g7556b76
 >>>  >
 >>>  > You can also just pull these from the directory that was used to
 >>>  > create the tarball:
 >>>  >
 >>>  >
 >>> http://linuxwireless.org/download/compat-wireless-2.6/compat-wireless-2.6/compat-release
 >>>
 >>>  >
 >>> http://linuxwireless.org/download/compat-wireless-2.6/compat-wireless-2.6/git-describe
 >>>
 >>>  >
 >>>  > Does this suffice?
 >>>

 >>> Not really but it gives a version hint, could you create a symlink or
 >>> so?
 >>>  a url like that would be fine:
 >>>  http://linuxwireless.org/download/compat-wireless-2.6/compat-wireless-2.8-49.tar.bz2
 >>>

 >> The problem is that does not reflect changes to Linux so there may be
 >> a lot of great code added and yet this wouldn't reflect it. And if we
 >> go with git-describe for Linux we could get updates on compat-wireless
 >> itself during no code changes on Linux. I could use date (date -I),
 >> that might work best but will it work for you?
 > a date would be perfect (f.e. -20080325)
 > florian
 Ok, i got a working ebuild, no i need an regular accessible download
 source with "solid" filenames e.g. the date appendix, then i could
 publish it as testing package.

Does this work for you?

http://linuxwireless.org/download/compat-wireless-2.6/compat-wireless-2008-03-25.tar.bz2
Yes,

Note that I'll delete all old tarballs when generating a new one for
the new date. This happens at 05:10am UTC.
but this is a problem, when i distribute a ebuild it is useful to have a locked version, so that i get reproducible results. My problem, is that i have currently no resources to rehost this tar-ball. (no official gentoo-dev, no reliable webserver)

But, i see currently no other solution than rehosting.
Normally gentoo uses official upstream src locations, and mirrors all stuff present in portage to reduce load on official websites. (portage first looks on gentoo-mirrors for tar-ball if unavailable it loads from official download page).

florian

  Luis