Search Linux Wireless

Re: Booting bcm47xx (bcma & stuff), sharing code with bcm53xx

On 28 August 2014 12:13, Arnd Bergmann <arnd@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> 1) prom_init / plat_mem_setup
>> These two functions are called in pretty much the same phase from the
>> setup_arch (arch/mips/kernel/setup.c).
>> Task: detect & register memory
>> Requires: CPU type, maybe Broadcom chip ID (highmem support)
>> Available: CPU type
>> Not available: kmalloc, device_add (kobject)
>>
>> 2) arch_init_irq
>> Called from the arch specific init_IRQ (arch/mips/kernel/irq.c)
>> Task: setup bcma's MIPS core
>> Requires: bcma bus MIPS core
>> Available: kmalloc
>> Not available: device_add (kobject)
>>
>> 3) plat_time_init
>> Called from the arch specific time_init (arch/mips/kernel/time.c)
>> Task: set frequency
>> Requires: bcma bus ChipCommon core, nvram
>> Available: kmalloc
>> Not available: device_add (kobject)
>
> My impression is that all the information that you need in these early
> three steps is stuff that is already meant to be part of DT.
> This isn't surprising, because the bcm47xx serves a similar purpose
> to DT, it's just more specialized.
>
> This duplication is a bit unfortunate, but it seems that just using
> the respective information from DT would be easier here.
>
> Is any of the information you need early dynamic? It sounds that
> for a given SoC, it should never change and can just be statically
> encoded in DT.

I'm not sure which info you exactly are talking about. I believe one
SoC model always use the same CPU, ChipCommon, embedded wireless and
PCIe + USB controllers. However amount of RAM, type of flash (serial
vs. NAND), size of flash, booting method, NVRAM location, etc. all
depend on vendor's choice. I think CPU speed could also depend on
vendor choice.

>> 4) At some point we need to register bcma devices, device_initcall can
>> be used for that
>>
>> As you can see, we need access to the NVRAM quite early (step 3,
>> plat_time_init, or even earlier), but device_add (platform
>> devices/drivers) is not available then yet. So I'm afraid we won't be
>> able to use this common way to write NVRAM driver.
>>

>> So there I want to present my plan for the NVRAM improvements. If you
>> don't agree with any part of it, or you can see any better solution,
>> please speak up!
>>
>> 1) I won't make nvram.c a platform driver. Instead I would like to
>> make it less bcm47xx specific. I don't want to touch bcm47xx_bus in
>> this file. Instead I want to add a generic function that will accept
>> address and size of memory where NVRAM should be found. Then I'd like
>> to move this file out of "mips" arch (drivers/misc/?
>> drivers/bcma/nvram/?) and allow using it for bcm53xx.
>
> In general, I'd try to avoid adding any platform specific code on ARM
> when it needs to run as something other than a device driver.
> Moving the code out of arch/mips and making it more generic definitely
> sounds good to me, but I'd prefer to have an actual platform_driver
> for it.

Sure, I didn't want to add NVRAM driver into arch/arm/ :)

Can you see any solution for making NVRAM support a standard platform
driver on MIPS and ARM? As I said, on MIPS we need access to the NVRAM
really early, before platform devices/drivers can operate.

>> 3) Above change (point 2) would require some small change in bcma. We
>> would need 2-stages init: detecting (with kmalloc!) bus cores,
>> registering cores. This is required, because we can't register cores
>> too early, device_add (and the underlying kobject) would oops/WARN in
>> kobject_get.
>
> Right. Could you do the bcma scan much later, at the time when
> device_add works as well? Traditionally PCI has been a problem
> since it had to be enabled really early, but that restriction
> should be gone now, and we can actually probe it from a loadable
> module.

Take a look at "arch_init_irq" I described above. It needs access to
the MIPS core (bcma bus contains many cores). To get access to this
core (to know it exists and to get it mapped), I need to scan the bus.

> On a global level, there is another choice, which is to do something
> similar to the 'pxa-impedence-matcher' and the 'sunxi-babelfish':
> These are two projects that implement a last-stage boot loader that
> runs before the kernel and translates a platform-specific boot format
> into standard DTB format. We could do the same for bcm53xx and
> translate any nvram strings we know about into properties of device
> nodes we already have, and copy all remaining strings into a
> properties of the /chosen node. That way, we don't even need any
> nvram driver for ARM, except a trivial one that provides raw
> write access to user space for updating it.

I think on bcm53xx early access to the NVRAM is less important, so
this may be not such a big problem at all.

--
Rafał