Search Linux Wireless

Re: [RFC 1/4] mac80211: Allow 5/10 MHz channel setting (for OCB)

On Mon, 2014-02-17 at 16:49 +0100, Rostislav Lisovy wrote:

> As you have already noticed, this is work in progress. I agree it is
> necessary to keep the code clean if I want others to read it -- I try to
> do so but it does not always go very well.

:-)

> One thing I am not sure about (mentioned in 0/4) and need some
> suggestions is frequency setting in the OCB mode.
> Since there are no beacons containing the information about the
> frequency to set, the frequency is set manually. Since the
> 'set_channel()' function is not present anymore (and we do not have
> 'ocb_join()' function, thus we cannot use 'preset_chandef'), I was not
> able to figure out how to set a fixed channel.

I don't really see why you didn't add an obc_join() method. I know that
it's not strictly a BSS concept, but still there should be *some*
indication that you want to participate in the OBC now, so you should
still have something like obc_join() that starts everything.

> If I would want to set the frequency with the
> ieee80211_vif_use_channel() function, I would need to somehow obtain the
> *sdata. If I check ieee80211_set_monitor_channel() I see how *sdata is
> obtained there, but I am not sure if it is a good idea to add *ocb_sdata
> to struct ieee80211_local?

That doesn't seem right, no; it seems in theory multiple OBC interfaces
could be present.

johannes