Search Linux Wireless

Re: [RFC 2/2] cfg80211: move channel switch logic to cfg80211

On 5 February 2014 08:39, Luca Coelho <luca@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, 2014-02-04 at 13:14 +0100, Michal Kazior wrote:

>> True. Userspace can probably deduce from interface combinations some
>> interfaces require attention due to channel switching.
>>

>> > How do we get the "target" beacon from userspace if the interface just
>> > switches?
>>
>> Do you really need the beacon? What for?
>
> I meant if we would switch the AP/GO interfaces automatically.  We need
> the beacon that should be transmitted in the new channel (like the one
> we need to pass in the existing channel switch request API).

I think Johannes made it clear that switching AP/GO automatically
isn't possible because it requires too much information that mac80211
(nor cfg80211) doesn't have.

>> > It depends.  And this logic is too complicated to stay in the kernel,
>> > IMHO.  If we are in a GO-follows-STA scenario, we want to disconnect the
>> > GO.  Now, if you have an AP (with tons of STAs connected to it) and a
>> > P2P client gets a CSA for whatever reason, do we really want to stop the
>> > AP?
>>
>> Agreed.
>>
>> But doesn't this imply STA CSA shouldn't be started within kernel
>> itself? Otherwise you leave a corner case when STA CSA is very short
>> making it impossible for userspace to take any action.
>
> I don't see how involving the userspace in the STA CSA decision would
> make any difference.  Doesn't it actually make it worse, because the STA
> CSA *itself* may fail because userspace doesn't have the time to react?

If you have STA CSA started inside mac80211 userspace may not have
enough time to react and request GO to switch in the GO-follows-STA.

This really depends how strongly you want to enforce interface
combinations and how much proactive/reactive CSA should be.

>> > I agree, especially if the driver offloads the channel switch, in which
>> > case it wouldn't be possible for cfg80211 to hold the finalize call to
>> > sync all the interfaces.
>>
>> This implies we don't care if channel switching breaks interface
>> combinations, right?
>
> Those decisions need to be made *before* the channel switch starts.

The purpose of ch_switch_finalize() is to perform the final switch
atomically and make sure non-complying interfaces are disconnected
before channel is actually switched (this could include Ilan's GO case
in a clean way).

If you want to move this to drivers you'll need RTNL to check
interface combinations at least.

Or.. cfg80211 can simply not give a damn :)

Michał