Search Linux Wireless

Re: [RFC 2/3] cfg80211: MinChannelTime and MaxChannelTime for scan requests

On Fri, Jan 24, 2014 at 7:19 AM, Johannes Berg
<johannes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, 2014-01-07 at 09:04 -0800, Paul Stewart wrote:
>
> > I've seen situations where it'd be useful to distinguish in user-space
> > between scan types.  Here are a few scenarios:
> >
> >  - Scanning for geo-location while associated (low-priority scan, tolerant
> >    to delayed/incomplete results, definitely not intended to interrupt or
> >    delay any inbound data traffic)
> >  - Background scan.  If there is traffic during the scan, we should abort
> >    (NL80211_SCAN_FLAG_LOW_PRIORITY should help with this).  If there is
> >    a history of traffic (e.g, an active data transfer) we might want to flag
> >    further that this scan should have shorter-than-usual dwell times as above.
>
> This makes sense, I'm not sure the first is all that much different from
> the second, though the precise meaning of "low priority" isn't all that
> well defined.
>
> >  - User-initiated scanning while idle in extremely congested networks
> >    (may need to actually wait a full beacon interval on each channel since
> >    the APs contend with each other to respond to probe requests -- user
> >    initiated, so it behooves us to get a complete list).
>
> That's an interesting situation, but I'm not sure how you'd ever detect
> which channels are extremely congested?

Off the top of my head, I suppose one could devise a heuristic based
on the ratio of beacons to probe-responses received on channel.  Also,
some drivers support the "channel busy time" or some such measure in
the survey results.