Search Linux Wireless

Re: How to get BRCM to work?

On 11/06/13 13:39, Hauke Mehrtens wrote:
On 11/06/2013 10:44 AM, Arend van Spriel wrote:
On 11/05/2013 11:25 PM, Dan Carpenter wrote:
It's working.  I think it was just a problem with the random old
linux-next kernel I was testing.  Sorry for the noise.

I do think it should be "select BCMA" instead of "depends on BCMA".  Is
there something I have missed?

I agree that most users would be unaware that they need BCMA. However,
the usual problem with 'select' is that the dependencies of the selected
item are not selected. I believe Kconfig will fire off a warning for it,
but the aforementioned users may only raise an eyebrow and continue.

If there are Kconfig wizards out there, please feel free to make any
suggestions.

Currently CONFIG_BCMA does not select anything else, it just depends on
CONFIG_BCMA_POSSIBLE, when CONFIG_BCMA is selected CONFIG_BCMA_HOST_PCI
will be activated automatically, so for the case of a PCIe card it
should work with "select BCMA" in brcmsmac, CONFIG_BCMA_POSSIBLE is set
for all normal PCs.

I remember vaguely some issues with selecting GPIOLIB. Anyway, I guess I should go for:

depends BCMA_POSSIBLE
select BCMA if BCMA_POSSIBLE

The first makes sure brcmsmac can only be selected on platforms where BCMA is possible and the second for the BCMA selection. Does that make sense?

Regards,
Arend

In b43 we do the same with CONFIG_SSB and I do not know of any problems.

Hauke