Search Linux Wireless

Re: How to get BRCM to work?

On 11/04/2013 02:07 PM, Dan Carpenter wrote:
On Mon, Nov 04, 2013 at 01:04:00PM +0100, Hauke Mehrtens wrote:
On 11/04/2013 12:51 PM, Dan Carpenter wrote:
I've been trying to remember the trick to get BRCM to work and I can't
remember at all.  I'm using BCM4313.  I've enabled everything with BCMA
or BRCM in the config name.

The module loads and the device shows up if I type "ifconfig wlan0" but
network manager doesn't see it and wicd doesn't see it.  (These are old
versions of nm and wicd).

This used to work under 3.8 but I didn't save my .config...  :(

Are these old versions of nm and wicd only supporting the deprecated
WEXT interface? If this is the case you have to set
CONFIG_CFG80211_WEXT=y in your config.

I have that enabled.

You also need a firmware for this device /lib/firmware/brcm/bcm43xx-0.fw
and /lib/firmware/brcm/bcm43xx_hdr-0.fw are needed.

I have the firmware.

When the device gets detected by brcmsmac, it is probably not a problem
in the Broadcom driver.

I've done a google search and it seems like the broadcom driver is still
a complete mess and you need to black list modules and hack everything
yourself on a per system basis?  Is that right?  Why can't we fix this
so it works?

There used to be a Kconfig item which would b43 claim the same device as brcmsmac. That was changed to a b43 module parameter. So the only issue could be if you previously had the proprietary broadcom-wl driver in use, because that adds blacklist entries for both b43 and brcmsmac and it does not get cleaned up when uninstalling.

If you never used the proprietary driver, there should be no issue with it and I would not recommend going there (I am biased). As you obviously do have a problem at hand, lets dive in. Can you send me a system and/or kernel log.

Gr. AvS