Search Linux Wireless

Re: [RFC] carl9170: new firmware for linux-firmware.git

On 10/25/2013 07:15 PM, Christian Lamparter wrote:
> Hi Ben,
>
> I'm currently updating the carl9170 firmware to the latest
> version (1.9.9). I've already pushed out the sources and
> updated the binaries over at our wiki (for the last time,
> all future update will be via linux-firmware.git).
>
> Now, the last item on my check off list is:
> [ ]     new firmware for linux-firmware.git
>
> Last time - when this topic came up - we had a short brainstorm
> about how to handle updates in the future:
> <http://marc.info/?l=linux-wireless&m=136115736909708>
>
> So, I've now prepared some options:
>
> 1. Reorganize carl9170 by creating a new subdirectory "carl9170"
>    and move everything in it.
>    * A carl9170fw-x.y.z.tar.xz with the source is generated for
>      each release and placed under carl9170/source/.
>
>    * new firmware binaries are placed in carl9170/.
>      (The firmware file name will include the version e.g.
>      carl9170-1.9.9.fw, it won't clash with a previous release.)
>
>    * A symlink from the linux-firmware.git root to the latest
>      carl9170-1.fw in the carl9170 subfolder is added/updated for
>      each release.

Why do we need multiple files at all?  Why do they all need to be named
carl9170-1.fw?  imho if the files are compatible then we only need one,
and if they are not compatible then it is insane that they are all
recognized as "carl9170-1.fw" as that makes it impossible for a user to
know "which carl9170-1.fw" they need for a given kernel.

Thanks,
Zero