From: Michael Saunders <mick.saunders@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, Oct 19, 2013 at 5:42 PM
Subject: iwlwifi issues with Ultimate 6300-N card in laptop
To: ilw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, linux-wireless@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi,

Firstly apologies for e-mailing this, but I'm unsure where to report
this now as the bugzilla.intellinuxwireless appears to be offline.

I've been experiencing wireless issues with my laptop that runs an
Intel Ultimate 6300-N card with the iwlwifi drivers for a couple of
years now. I'd seen numerous bug reports on many different
distributions incl. bugzilla for kernel.org reporting similar issues,
but not always exactly the same type of issue as mine and was always
hopeful that a fix would be forthcoming.

The issue:
I experience occasional packet loss and extremely poor latency when
doing any activity over my wireless network. I experience this no
matter which AP I am connected to, and I have tried various iwlwifi
module options (11n_disable=1 or 2) and these can improve the
situation but are not a solution.

I've attached a few log files that help detail my setup, and show some
of the errors found in dmesg during transfers and also a log of
latency results of a ping to a system on my local network (e.g. I'd
expect replies around the 1-2ms mark, not up to 12000ms like I
occasionally have)

I run ArchLinux, and have done for a couple of years, and I'm almost
certain I've had wireless issues since install around when the kernel
3.0 series began.

Logfiles attached:
ping.log -- shows the extremely poor latencies I get when doing
transfers over wireless
lsmod.log -- lsmod of drivers running
dmesg.out.log -- errors seen in dmesg during the wireless transfers
iwlwifi.firmware.1.log -- ls of /lib/firmware/ directory to show
version of firmware
iwlwifi.firmware.2.md5s.log -- md5s of said firmware
lshw.log -- sudo lshw to detail hardware
date.log -- just the date this was all done (to ascertain approximate
package versions if needed due to rolling nature of ArchLinux)
uname.log -- current kernel version.
modinfo.iwlwifi.log -- iwlwifi info
modinfo.iwldvm.log -- iwldvm info
iwconfig.out -- iwconfig output showing large TX excessive retries and
invalid misc

I'm disappointed in how long this card has had issues under Linux, and
it reflects poorly on Intel products and their driver support in
Linux. As it is, this product is faulty when used under linux, even
though it is stated as being supported by Intel.

I would really like to obtain a fix for this. If I can assist in any
way (running custom firmware/kernels/drivers, providing more info,
perhaps step-by-step explanations for debugging, or even potentially
providing SSH access to a liveCD instance running on this system) then
please let me know.

If there's an official intel wireless bugzilla somewhere, please point
me at it if I need to log this there.

Regards.
Michael