Search Linux Wireless

Getting the Sitecom WLA-2102 running with the rtl8192cu driver? (add its USB ID)

Hi list,

In the course of this year I acquired a Sitecom N300 (WLA-2102) USB Wifi adapter with a USB vendor,device ID:
0x0DF6,0x0070

According to a post on a german site, it is claimed that the device can be set to run through the Realtek 8192CU driver and that this can be achieved by adding the id at the appropriate place in the source code, which I recognise as "the
same list as where the device with ID= 0x0DF6,0x0061 is added.

In the latest stable kernel source (3.11.4) I was able to identify this to be situated in the file:
linux-3.11.4/drivers/net/wireless/rtlwifi/rtl8192cu/sw.c

Hence I my question whether it is possible to add the id as suggested in the german post
(http://forum.ubuntuusers.de/topic/wi-fi-usb-adapter-n300-wla-2102-8192cu/)
in order get the device running in the next kernel version?

Since I myself stopped compiling my own custom kernels a few years ago. (In favour of (automagically updated) Debian testing distribution kernels), I have not yet tried to implement the modification in a home-brewn kernel, but given clear indication on how to rebuild a distribution kernel image package with just that one modification, I would love to give that a try and test it.

Yours,
Hans de Jonge